Friday, 11 November 2011

The Red Is in the Green

Lest we forget - picture of Canadian remembrance poppy, by user striatic at Flickr.com - Released under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.
Lest we forget - by striatic at Flickr.com, 2007 - Released under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.




This is what came to me, to end this year's silence for the war-dead of all my peoples.



The Red Is in the Green

Remembrance Day 2011

The red is in the green.
The rose is in the grave.
The reason's still unseen
The lead is in the brave.
The cock is on his dunghill.
The dust is on the plain.
The ocean's in my eyes, my love –
But never you again.

No, never you again.
The wind is in my eyes, my dear –
The way it blows is plain.
The plumes are on the princes.
The names adorn the arch
The flesh that drew apart.
The bones are on the march.
The red is in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.