Wednesday, 2 February 2011

Slightly Foxed

Despite all my best resolutions, another of my Katherines has escaped into the wild. Today and for no particular reason I wrote a complete solo Kit Fox story, The Wave That Broke on the Ingerfell, treating of an apocryphal but entirely characteristic adventure of that evil wicked exceptionally dodgy witch in the little northern lordship of Haggersdale.

It is loosely based on The Cock and Hen That Went to the Dovrefell - a trivial Norse beast-fable I recently bumped into in Dasent, and which is familiar to English-speaking nurseries as Chicken Little. The nature of this story is that substantial portions of it almost literally wrote themselves.

But since this is a tale of Kit Fox, my version is longer, ruder, and turns on an incredibly petty scam that gets more than slightly out of hand. And since her rôle in my current novel Killer-Kate and Luke Lackland is... somewhat harrowing to contemplate... this light-hearted tale from her younger days was an absolute delight to get my paws on.

I shall be releasing the final draft on April 23rd, as my annual contribution to International Pixel-Stained Technopeasant Day. I was wondering what I was going to do for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.