Sunday, 26 September 2010

"Shall I Raise Her Banner?"

Who is she that looketh forth as the morning, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners?  - The Queen of Sheba riding to meet Solomon, from a fresco in Gondar, Ethiopia - public domain, via Wikimedia Commons.The Council chapter of Killer-Kate has sped unexpectedly to a conclusion - it seems that now the action is picking up, this first draft can carry on a way further without a revision. Perhaps all the way to the end, which would be best, since then I'll know exactly what raw material I have to work with at every stage. But a little way further at least. The Rising is here. War is here, and reckoning, and a deadly rush for peace before all peace goes down in flame.

It is the homeward stretch and the great surge of the tale, and I am here at last. They say that no plan survives first contact with the enemy. I wonder how far that will prove true for me, too, though I am only telling of war and not living it?

It has been a strange chapter and a stranger synthesis of ideas. I'm not sure there isn't a lie - a lie subtle and almost cruel - in the end result, that none of my characters are capable of seeing in their newfound resolution. Ah well, they have sold it to themselves, and if it proves false they will no doubt feel it buckle. But it will bear some thinking on by me.

If people believe their great hero when she says that she is only the banner-carrier, and she inspirits them by showing that the hero hymned in the songs could only possibly be all of them together - how much does it matter that they can only believe it because she, personally, is their great hero and told them so?

This may or may not matter in the story. I'm pretty convinced it matters in the world outside my window.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.