Wednesday, 15 September 2010

"All Measures Always, Kate."

The Wedding Dance in a Barn, by Pieter Brueghel the Younger (1564-1638) - public domain, via Wikimedia Commons For the second and I hope final time, I've just finished the concluding chapter of the Wassail arc in Killer-Kate and Luke Lackland, after a mostly fallow summer. This summer consisted mostly of various non-writing activities and gaddings about, all of it worthwhile, but all of it with the dread of chapter-completion lurking miserably in the back of the mind. The dread turned out to be justified, since the intended ending was all wrong. When I finally did the deed, I realized that it started the next arc in the easy way and not the true way, and that I would incur a good deal of punishment for this in the course of attempting to write the Rising arc without bashing my brains out against the nearest convenient wall.

So: the true ending as I see it is now provided. This leaves my protagonists finally reconciled to things they've been struggling with or against all their lives, and with a prospect of honest fellowship and happiness they've never known.

Which, being who they are, they must and will now push back into the fire - and hope besides hope that it will come out again, glowing.

Because one good answer to the forgiveness of unpayable debts, is freely to give away more than ever was asked or was due, in some coin in which one finds oneself presently richer.

The coming Council chapter needs to be terrible, not cosy or softened by helpful circumstance, if wonderful things are to come of it. I wish my backbrain had noticed this in a more helpful way over the past couple of months, but hey. There is going to be a lot of back-ripple into existing sections as I write this part, too: it's one of the bits that defines how much of my Fairfields setup is and isn't essential to the line of the story.

But for this night and this chapter's end... I will leave my heroic old villains dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.