Friday, 23 April 2010

I Bring a Dish to the Feast

It's St George's Day! Hooray!

It's Shakespeare's Birthday! Huzzah!

It's International Pixel-Stained Technopeasant Day! Wretch that I am, I hereby celebrate it by releasing a brand-new 23K novella into the world free gratis and for nothing! Breaking Night Mountain is an adult fairy-tale - no, not that sort of 'adult fantasy'! - which I wrote to keep my hand in during the research phase of Killer-Kate.

It was born out of this discussion of Heather Tomlinson's Toads and Diamonds on Tor.com. That inspired me, in a sheer spirit of what-the-hell, to the following challenge: to see how many rules of fairy-tale I could bend or break at once, and still end up with something that was really a fairy-tale rather than a mere parody of one. I should be very interested to hear how far I've succeeded!

This is the inaugural item in my new 'Showcase' feature, to be found on the right sidebar. Further free content may appear there from time to time, as the whim and the work seize me.

The main International Pixel-Stained Technopeasant Day page, where my fellow-wretches' contributions are mustered, can and should be found here.

4 comments:

  1. And a royal dish it is! There are at least three splendid stories in it, and I laughed in the middle, and cried at the end. I wish I could begin to say all the things about it that it deserves, but I know that if I did I couldn't stop until I'd said too much. So I'll only say "Thank you".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, Irina! I'm very fond of this one, because the writing of it was such pure fun. It's good to hear that the larks are communicable...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing style in the blogs reminds me of the time I read "The Collected Works of Edger Allen Poe". Normally I read books of every size in one sitting but trying to do that with Poe is just asking for a brain melt. No way to read his stories (or your blogs) without backing up every few paragraphs to take another go at the layered meanings you missed the first time.

    So..... I got curious to see what your prose would look like and read this.

    First part read like the blogs and was just enough to get me hooked. Round about the time the knights started talking to each other the flow got much easier to follow. (or I just got used to your style). By the grand rescue I was giggling frequently and the ending was quite satisfying. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why, thank you! The thought that I yarn like I blog is a new one on me, and a datum I shall have to chew over. I've never thought of Poe as one of my influences, but it is true that I read him at a most impressionable age. Now I think of it, I make more than my share of casual Poe-tic allusions, even in speech and even today. H'mmm!

    Glad you enjoyed it. I shall just be analyzing the flow presently, to see whether I can detect any change at that point. It's true that sometimes a story really comes together for me some way in: the writing of Breaking Night Mountain did accelerate and deepen as I got into it, which is true of most tales I enjoy telling. It didn't occur to me that there might be so clear a track of this in the finished product.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.