Monday, 1 March 2010

One Jovial Englishman

Flag of Wales, Y Ddraig Goch, by Calum Hutchinson via Wikimedia Commons - released by author into public domainDydd Gwŷl Dewi Sant hapus! And again, for my fellow Saxon-speakers: Happy St David's Day! I hesitated briefly over whether to illustrate this post with Y Ddraig Goch or the Flag of St David himself, but the dragon won out for the following reasons:

1) It is a dragon. It was starting to look at me in a funny way. It is a dragon.

2) St David was such a famous ascetic as to earn himself the name of Dewi Ddyfrwr, or David the Water-Drinker. Now I am very happy for my neighbours to be ascetics, on several principles including "All the more for me!"; but some of the good man's too enthusiastic disciples imposed upon me and my mates many an unwillingly parched Sunday in old Aberystwyth in my salad days, and I do not forget.

I will salute old Dewi with a nice panad when I get home, as is only proper and respectful; but the glasses I shall be chiefly raising to the land of my fathers tonight will have more of dragon's fire in them than of holy man's water!

Feeling a great deal happier about the yarn today. The fact that I've a good idea what the problems are and what I need to do about them, is a big advance over similar such situations in the past. Also, now the great writing-storm has passed and I'm settling down of evenings to a relaxing Plot Noodle, life is ever so much more serene and less exhausting for the while.

All this, and clear warm sunshine also. Indeed it is Spring, and a good start to it.

Iechyd da to one and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.