Tuesday, 15 September 2009

A Quote for the Goats

Angora goat, by Trisha M Shears - public domain For the past week or two, I've been treating myself last thing in the evening to an audio of G K Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday. I usually enjoy Chesterton very much, and this is proving no exception at all. The other day, I copped from it a quote which sings very well to my goatish heart:


"Do you understand," said the other, "that this is a tragedy?"

"Perfectly," replied Syme; "always be comic in a tragedy. What the deuce else can you do?"



A fair chunk of my personal philosophy put over in two bright breaths.

As far as I'm concerned, Great Pan can take the professionally censorious and solemn, and administer the divine kick where it will do the most good.

For if we can't act the goat in a tragedy - I'd surely like to know where we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.