Thursday, 11 June 2009

The Tale of Rose-Bay and Adder-Fang

From the evening I got back from Wales, a brand new fairy-tale has been rolling off my keyboard at about a kiloword a day, and yesterday with a great hurrah I finished it! It's 13,000 words long, which is not so hot from a publication point of view, but may change in the redrafting. One of the things about stories which tell themselves as fast as a fellow can get them down on disc, is that the telling pretty much gets given its head, and the plotting and tension have to be handled at high speed on the hoof. I'm still too close to Rose-Bay to judge how well that aspect works, at present.

I'll be handling this partly by letting it cool off for a bit after I've given this draft its final rough sanding, and partly by soliciting the opinions of first readers. If anyone out there feels the urge, please let me know - I'll mail you a copy, and all feedback will be received most gratefully.

These fairy-tales that are haunting me at present - Three Katherines, Lolly Black, and now this one - are rum things altogether, and I'll probably have a good old waffle about them, once I've got it straighter in my head just what my lady Muse is getting up to here.

Mmm, waffles...!

3 comments:

  1. *waves hands madly* Me! Me! irina@valdyas.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, I really liked The Deed of Katy Elflocks, so I'd love to get a look at this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Irina and David - both your comments will be very welcome indeed! I should finish the 'sanding' over the weekend (markup pass completed this evening, revision pass scheduled tomorrow and Sat), and shall send it off directly that's accomplished. Sat or Sun, in any case.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.