Wednesday, 22 April 2009

The Kidding Around Commences


I'm Graham Woodland, familiarly 'Gray', and I shall be blogging here mostly about speculative fiction, the state of the jolly old world, and such other matters as my caprice suggests. As to myself, I am a mild-mannered English dilettante, geek-of-all-trades, and habitual scribbler of science and fantasy fiction. When, as happens more or less every issue, I encounter some joker claiming to be the boss of me and mine for everybody's good, I exhibit the superpowers of acting the goat and looking for new and interesting ways to jump the fence. The title of this blog is a tip of the hat to everybody else who feels the same way, and a hint at some of the questions I feel like exploring.

My literary heroes include J R R Tolkien, Eric Frank Russell, and Roger Zelazny. Other strong influences on my writing have been William Morris, E R Eddison, Lord Dunsany, Ursula K Le Guin, and H P Lovecraft and all the gang. More recently, I think that Lois McMaster Bujold can easily hold up her head with any of the above. I shall doubtless be gabbing about all of these at some time or another.

Politically I'm a libertarian, on the grounds that the best form of government is obviously one in which I am the immortal absolute monarch of the world; and I can imagine even better than you can what a bollix I'd make of that. The diverting implications of the evidence that most people would not freely accept even a small portion of libertarianism, served truffled on a silver platter with all the champagne they could drink, will often be seen providing me with food for thought; which, being an unselfish cove, I shall of course be sharing quite liberally.

So hello, iechyd da, and welcome to y'all!

1 comment:

  1. For future reference. your blog now has a syndicated feed on LJ so those of who use LJ as our RSS/Atom feed reader can be lazy. :-)
    http://syndicated.livejournal.com/goatinmachine/

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.